Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back to the begining

I am back in Morocco once again. It seems this country and my budget are compatible with each other. It's been good to be back also. Saturday I got to hang out with Khadija in the medina and Tuesday I have company coming to stay with me for a few days. I met a really nice girl in Tarifa Spain right before I came back. Morocco is a place she always wanted to come and it worked out for her to come and stay with me and travel a bit.

This weekend I have been enjoying the weather in El Jadida. I took a bit of a detour to get here and drove through some really beautiful countryside. All of the farmers are out harvesting their wheat. So, the roads were packed with tractors and donkeys. This morning I went to the Cite Portuguese. Evidently, the old medina here was once held by the Portuguese so it was really fun to walk around and appreciate the Portuguese influence. Much the same appreciation I had in Portugal for the Moroccan influence. One thing I learned tonight at dinner is that the Arabic word for potato is the same as in Portuguese. I knew the Portuguese word from Ana saying batata and potatoe. But, the arabic word for potatoe I learned when I got fries to eat. It is easy to think that now the world is a small place, but I think it has been for some time.

I come home soon and I can't believe it!!

2 comments:

matthew said...

can't wait to see you!

SamT said...

So glad you are having fun in Morroco. I'm happy you've got company. I can't believe you're coming home either! Can't wait to see you!